Saturday, April 12, 2014

Wuxi: It's All About The Journey..

Tuesday 2 April, 2014 
¥5.00           Breakfast
¥25.00         Cappuccino
¥200.00       Tutoring
¥12.00         Dinner
¥2.00           Pineapple 
(¥244.00 ~my wonderful friend Diana noted that I had missed a day 
- such amazing attention to detail, thank you!)

Friday 4 April, 2014 
¥2.00           Pineapple
¥6.00           Laundry Ticket
¥188.00       Train Tickets (Return to Wuxi)
¥5.70           Breakfast
¥6.90           Lunch
¥7.50           Convenience Store
¥2.00           Bus
¥240.00      Ibis Hotel (3 nights)
¥35.00        Dinner
¥2.00          Water
(¥495.10)

Total: ¥739.10 ($132.70)

Weekly Total: ¥1736.05 ($311.67)

Total Spend: ¥19590.75 ($3688.15 AUD)

- - -

Where do I begin. It's been over a week since I went to Wuxi.

So last week, me and my 3 UTS friends, along with another person from UK (J) caught a train after class to go to Wuxi during Qing Ming Jie (A public holiday for people to pay respects to their ancestors).

Wuxi is considerably close to Hangzhou - only a 2 hour ride on the high speed trains. But since we organised our trip very last minute, it was really hard to find train tickets and we were left with "hard seater" train tickets on the 6 hour slow train. 




Waiting for the gates to open so we could board the train.

Traffic in Hangzhou is so bad, it took us 1.5 hours to get to the station by bus and we only had 5 minutes to spare. Still, I had to risk it to take this photo.. those vectors were too good!
We were on a local train in the most basic carriage.. but even then I can't complain because 'basic' carriage also has seater tickets and standing tickets (can you imagine standing for 6 hours!?)
But since the train stops at many stations, most people standing usually get off after 1-2 hours. When standing passengers see a free seat e.g. someone going to the bathroom, they'll rush to it and sit for a while until the returning passenger tells the to move off.

I really can't complain.. I brought Tim Tams to share, and Arnott's Shapes so it felt just like a long journey on an Aussie train... (Thank you NomNomNormsauruses)
What I rely on to make friends.
I was sitting on the inside seat of a 6 seater so I was sandwiched between a dirty, stained wall, a stranger who was radiating heat, and this table. The kidney dish metal pan is for everyone to chuck their rubbish on.


I was quite preoccupied by this mystery hair for a long time. I don't know how it got there, everyone around the table had long hair.. and... moving on.
I really can't complain. The 6 hour journey went by really quickly, given that I slept through maybe half of it. The only issue would've been the inconsistent temperature inside the carriages - air con would be turned on until the carriages reached say 18 degrees, then it would stop until the carriage reached a stuffy and humid 25 degrees before the air con blasted on again. 


The views were beautiful though, and we got to see the glow of sunset fall on the countryside. (/ hidden-from-the-city industrial production side?)
The highlight of my trip would probably be two events:
1. When we arrived on the train there was a dirty old 1L milk container already on the table. I thought it was rubbish, so when the rubbish man came around half way into the trip, I handed him all the rubbish in the kidney dish, as well as the container. After a while, I noticed the passenger sitting on the outside of the 6 seater holding the container.. it was actually his!! I felt so bad for thinking it was rubbish, and also now I made him hold his own container (he was already holding his manbag, and the seats are tight so it's not that comfortable). I was very embarrassed, but I worked up the courage to apologise to him and I offered to put it back on the table. He refused. Awks.

2. I was leaning on the wall sleeping, but got woken up by something really warm leaning on my arm. This woman was in deeper sleep than me! I was happy to support her but after a while the heat got unbearable so I had to softly nudge her awake.


You can see the yellow and black milk container in question at the bottom left of the photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment