Friday, March 28, 2014

Why Budgets Suck.!

Monday 24 March, 2014 
¥3.00            Breakfast (Uni Restaurant)
¥19.00          Lunch (Gu Tou Fan)
¥15.00          Er Dao Pudding (Ceylon Tea flavour, the most amazing pudding in the world)
¥10.00          Oreo McFlurry 
¥118.00        Shorts (Hey they were 80% off okay! I need shorts, it's hot now)
¥4.50             Stamp
¥69.60          Walmart
¥20.00          Fruit
(¥259.10)

Tuesday 25 March, 2014 
¥6.00           Breakfast (Uni Restaurant)
¥3.50           Coffee
¥42.00         Lunch (Peet's)
¥200.00       Tutoring
¥166.50        EMS China Post (for a 200g parcel)
¥7.00            Dinner 
¥5.00            Milk
(¥430.00)

Wednesday 26 March, 2014 
¥3.00           Breakfast (Uni Restaurant)
¥12.50        Coffee
¥2.00           Pineapple 
¥9.50           Lunch
¥95.00        Dinner (2 drinks 40, Reuben sandwich 55)
¥70.00        Drinks (I shouted drinks.. I didnt actually drink that much)
(¥182.00)

Thursday 27 March, 2014 
¥6.00           Breakfast (Uni Restaurant)
¥4.00           Ice cream (Macca's half choc half vanilla soft serve)
¥7.00           Taxi
¥6.00           Lunch
¥165.00      Art Materials
¥8.00           Taxi
¥7.50          Snack (Hand held pancake)
¥15.00        Dinner (Gu Tou Fan)
¥15.00        Er Dao Pudding (Ceylon Tea)
¥50.00        Vacuum
(¥283.50)

Total: ¥1154.60 ($207.30)

Weekly Total: ¥1154.60 ($207.30)

Total Spend: ¥17138.90 ($3248.00 AUD)

- - -

The worst thing about writing is blog is blogging all my daily expenses.
Especially since all I worry about here is my spending.
And all I see is how much I have spent.. in just four days this week.
I'm going to Shanghai this weekend.
I solemnly promise that after this week I will stop spending so much money.
But in my defense some of these things were necessary - like the materials for class, and the postage to mum. 
And I have ZERO summer clothes here. It's getting to an average of 23 degrees and only getting hotter from here on in.
Okay I think I have convinced myself that it's okay now.

- - -

Now let the chronicles of my life begin!

Either my life has become very ordinary or black toothbrushes are awesome.

Added some colour to my boring white walls. these are post-it flags (arrows)! 

Second Wushu class. My favourite class at the moment, we learnt a sequence of 8 moves to perform at once.

On my campus there are 4-5 cafeterias. At night, in that area there is a lamb skewer grill set up. They also cook these bread things!

Bedtime snacks - Milk for the Australian girl, Beer for the Spanish boy.

This week has been an interesting week as I've been measuring the days of the week by the changes in my bruise colour. I haven't had a bruise this good looking since forever, and I have no idea how I got this bruise (must have been last weekend sometime.) This photo is the blue/green/yellow phase. 

This is what a poor student lunch looks like. I have my own chilli jar that I add to pretty much everything.

Going to the art store, it was like a cheapo shopping mall with heaps of little stalls selling art and stationery gear. There are a huge variety of mao bi's (Chinese brushes), but we only have to ask for the cheapest one because we can't appreciate better quality brushes. (As said by my arrogant callig teacher)

The store where we were sent to get our stuff.

There are many different styles of calligraphy, with Kai being the standard one you start learning. I was stupid and was reading this thinking the left column was the name of the ''styles'' and I thought the ''Turtle" style was way cool!

My very wuliao (boring) chinese painting class. We were learning how to hold the brush, and were practising drawing circles and lines. I had to translate what the teacher said for the other students (which was pretty hard already as my chinese level is not that great). I want to draw stuff alreadyyyy! I think I just don't have enough patience and discipline.

THIS IS IT! The famous free tissue machine!!! They installed it right outside of the cafeteria. I don't think many people know about it yet (hush hush I want all the tissues!) since it's in Chinese and you need to download an app and register to get free tissues. Have to scan a QR Code each time, and sometimes it stuffs up.. so that's a good barrier to stop people persisting to get my tissues ;)

How amazing are these printed tissues! Sure they have ads all over them as well but since I can't read it, it's easy to look past that little tissue issue ;D

Bruise: Brown phase. It's actually quite distracting as every time I'm writing in class, I notice it again as if for the first time, then I stop writing to touch it and inspect it. I cannot resisting looking at it. Actually as I typed this I lifted up my sleeve to look at it again. Now twice. 

The (local's) cafeteria. The line is super long, but you line up and grab plates that are on offer. this was 11RMB, which is $2. As I paid I was thinking ''this is expensive lunch..'' because you can get lunch for under 10rmb easily. We could never get $2 lunch back in Australia. Shows how quickly your mentality can adopt the changes in a new environment...

Finally the product of my very lacklustre calligraphy class. In this first lesson we learnt how to write the word "Yong" which means "forever" as in "you have to write this forever before you can move on." He didn't even teach us the techniques and fundamentals. I had googled chinese callig tutorials on youtube earlier and learnt that this word has all the basic strokes in it. By strokes, I mean the different pressures you need to create each stroke. I got the teacher to write it so I could copy it (Chinese callig is also about copying.. recreating a master's work to learn). Can you tell which one is the teacher's? Obviously - it's the thick wet ones, the two last ones in the second row from the right. You can see what I mean by the different strokes in that last one.

Teacher's callig. So balanced, so beautiful to look at... So not what I'm doing right now. 

Did you know that to become a calligraphy master you need to study it for at least 4 years full time? 

No comments:

Post a Comment