Saturday, March 1, 2014

My First Day Of Uni.

Monday 3 March, 2014 
¥3.00      Breakfast (Uni Restaurant)
¥10.00    Extra Book Fee (Teacher charged us too little)
¥30.00    Second Breakfast (Panini + Coffee)
¥30.00    Lunch (Well, two lunches first with my 'family' then again with my new classmates)
(X.P is starting this new thing where one person shouts dinner today, then another tomorrow, etc. so I didn't pay for dinner today.)

Total: ¥73.00 ($13.90)

Weekly Total: ¥73.00

Total Spend: ¥4657.20 ($887.10 AUD)

- - - 

Today I started my first day of uni! 

At breakfast, I was very excited and nervous at the same time. I was excited to start studying, but I was worried about what the work level would be like, and whether I would make new friends in my class.

Luckily for me, my classroom is literally in the same building as where I sleep. I can go to my room and pick up my books 5 minutes before class, and I still wouldn't be late. 

When I arrived at my classroom, I saw some girls were already standing around the door. I said hi, and saw a girl already sitting inside so I walked in. 

My class has 18 students. Quite a few of them were from Korea, but I also remember there were people from Germany, Ukraine, Sweden, Thailand, Indonesia.. and little me from Australia.

I sat in the second row, and quite quickly afterwards a very pretty Korean girl sat next to me and asked me where I was from.

Today I had two classes, jingdu (reading) and kouyu (speaking). The teachers are different for each subject, and I loved both of the teachers I had today. They both seemed really nice, patient and sweet. We didn't do very much from the books today - we were introduced to the school rules, and also introduced ourselves. In the first class I was probably smiling too much at the teacher because she picked me to go first to introduce myself in front of the class. Telling them my Chinese and English name, age, country I'm from, family, and studies was easy enough, but I wasn't paying attention when she told us that we had to tell the class our dasuan (plans) and I thought it meant what we wanted from being in Hangzhou. I found out after giving the wrong answer that she just wanted to know how long we were staying in HZ for. Awks.

In my speaking class, we did the same thing, but this time we had to discuss in small groups aspects about ourselves so we could introduce another person and make the rest of the class guess who it was.

This was quite fun, and it was pretty simple so I could follow. But I struggled a bit with the listening when the teacher was telling us what to prepare for homework. 

After class, I met up with my little family again for lunch. 
(My little family refers to the group of friends I hang out with all the time - which consists of me, 3 other Chinese-Australian girls, 1 Korean girl, 1 Australian boy, 1 Chinese-Spanish boy, and 1 Chinese-German boy. I love my little family a lot, because I feel we are a good mix of cultures (even though most of us have an Asian background). What I've noticed around the international dorms is that a lot of groups are people of the same nationalities. There are groups of Germans.. Australians..lots of groups of Koreans.. and they tend to be quite separate from one another and they never interact with each other. I really wanted to avoid that, and I think we've sorta achieved that in our little group. We readily welcome new people, and we are somehow a good mix.)

The 3 other Australian girls are all in Class 6, so we had lunch with the rest of Class 6 (1 Norwegian boy, 2 Koreans, 1 Mongolian, 1 American, 1 Chinese-English). After lunch I met up with my classmates to have lunch again - this time it was me, the German boy, the Korean girl, the Australian and my new classmates ( two Korean girls, two Indonesian girls, 1 Ukrainian boy).

After two lunches I was super stuffed. My two new Korean classmates sorta joined onto my current 'family' since we invited them to play badminton with us. I played for a little while with everyone bar the 3 Aussie girls who went to Walmart. 

After that, I met up with the girls to lianxi (study) the lessons I learnt today.

We had dinner as one big group of ten (the two Korean girls came too). 

Now I'm attacking this dumb blog and working on my patience because the net literally drops out every 5 minutes.

Uploading photos is difficult as it tends to screw up the WiFi, so I'm going to have to go without today.

No comments:

Post a Comment